What is it?
Sciatica is a symptom and refers to experiencing pain from the low back down the back of the leg. The sciatic nerve begins in your low back and passes through your buttock and down the back of your leg. The sciatic nerve can become irritated due to three main reasons, which leads to sciatica symptoms.
- Lumbar intevertebral disc bulges – the disc can push onto the nerve and give symptoms down the leg such as pain, altered sensation and weakness.
- Degenerative changes in the spinal joints leading to irritation of the nerve
- Compression of the nerve from the piriformis muscle which attaches onto the hip
When managing people with sciatica symptoms it is important to obtain an accurate diagnosis as to what condition is causing the symptoms in your individual case. Once this has been determined then an effective treatment plan can be delivered to reduce pain quickly and for the long term.
What you can expect from each chiro appointment:
- 1 on 1 appointments only.
- We have longer appointment times to allow us to go through every step
- Clear diagnosis and plan. We explain everything.
- We don’t do any treatments you don’t wish. We treat everyone individually.
- We will help reduce your pain, get you back moving and achieving your movement goals.
How can we help you?
- Thorough examination of the spine, hip, knee and ankle. We want to know where the sciatica symptoms are coming from.
- Education around conditions and ways to manage pain better. We will guide you how to stop pain and return to function.
- Treatment – hands on therapy including massage and gentle joint mobilisations to get you out of pain sooner
- Rehabilitation – simple exercises to help reduce pain and make sure it doesn’t return
Our experienced practitioners at Trident Movement regularly help people with the symptoms of sciatica and we are confident we can help you with this condition.
Will you crack my neck?
No. We understand that “cracking” the neck or other joints can be scary or not your cup of tea so we don’t need to do it. We pride ourselves on being able to tailor a treatment approach which is specific to you. If we believe you have a joint which is stiff there are many ways we can improve its motion and cracking / manipulation is one of various options.
Does it hurt?
No. We understand that you are likely already in pain and thus adding more pain to the equation seems illogical and counterintuitive. Our primary aim within the first few appointments if to get you out of pain so we choose to provide treatments which do this. When giving you exercises we can sometime expect some soreness, however this should settle quickly.
Will I have to see you forever?
No. We strongly believe in empowering and educating our community towards being able to self-manage their pain and injuries. Our goal is to educate you on every phase of your care including discharging you from our care. This gives you confidence to get back to all the activities you love most.
How much does it cost?
We have a variety of treatment options which will depend on the individual. We aim to work with you….